Therapeutic Riding came to Greece in 1983, thanks to the initiative and dedication of Aideen Lewis. The Therapeutic Riding Association of Greece (TRAG) was established in 1992 as a non-profit volunteers’ organization with a solid social goal. One year later, TRAG was also recognized as a sports organization.
TRAG is run by a 7-member volunteer Board of Directors. The BoD is elected every 4 years by the General Assembly, and the elected Board then convenes to vote for the officers.
The current Board is as follows:
- President: Dimitra Karouzaki
- Vice-President: Dimitris Xatziliadis
- General Secretary: Popi Tasoula
- Treasurer: Sotiria Chrysanthaki
- Member: Thomas Sideris
- Member: Eleni Vavouraki
- Member: Ann Stavropoulou
From its establishment until now, TRAG has:
- offered therapeutic services to more than 2000 children and 500 adults, offering assistance to many of who have financial difficulties attending such therapies
- participated in numerous sports events, (local and international), such as Paralympics 2004, Special Olympics 2011.
- proudly seen its athletes win 15 medals
- organized an educational program, since 2005, for Therapeutic Riding trainers
- organized the XIV International Congress of Therapeutic Horse Riding on its premises in 2012
- contributed to the dissemination of Equine Assisted Therapy, as trainees have opened their own therapeutic riding centers across Greece after the completion of the educational program at TRAG
- constantly strives to develop awareness of the importance of volunteerism. More than 1.500 volunteers over the years have helped TRAG by offering their services at least 3 hours per week for 10 months annually
TRAG is a member of:
- Federation of Horses in Education and Therapy International (HETI)
- Hellenic Equestrian Federation (HEF)
- European Network “Eurochild” fighting for children’s rights
- Accredited body of hosting volunteers in the frame of European Voluntary Service (EVS)
- Accredited body of social care offering services by the Ministry of Health
- Accredited body for internships of students from universities and colleges
TRAG’s personnel consists of professionals of various expertise, all specialized and focusing in Therapeutic Riding.
- Maria Liapi: Psychologist, Trainer
- Ariadni Tsigkanou: Occuparional Therapist, Trainer
- Pelagia Savvidi: Occupational Therapy
- Kleopatra Tsagkari: Physiotherapist, Trainer
- Eleni Konstantinidi: Special Education Teacher, Trainer
- Katerina Theodoulou: Physical Education Trainer, Horse Trainer
TRAG’s personnel includes two more employees:
- Giorgos Strompolakos: Office Administrator, Public Relations
- Najaf Abbas: Stableman
It’s easy to become a member. Just call or email us to find out how (tel: 210 7488566, email: email@example.com). Annual membership fee is €10.